At St Thomas’, we recognise the contribution of PE to the health and well-being of the children. We believe that an innovative, varied PE curriculum and extra-curricular opportunities have a positive influence on the concentration, attitude and academic achievement of all our children.
Our PE and Sport’s Premium Grant will enable us to continue and extend our provision through employing additional sports professionals, entering into more competitive sports competitions and training our staff to deliver in-house quality PE sessions.
Other improvements in school include:
- the engagement of all pupils in regular physical activity – kick-starting healthy active lifestyles
- the profile of PE and sport being raised across the school as a tool for whole school improvement
- increased confidence, knowledge and skills of all staff in teaching PE and sport
- broader experience of a range of sports and activities offered to all pupils
- increased participation in competitive sport
Primary School’s Sports Funding
Click here for the Department of Education link to the Primary School’s Sports Funding page.
What is the Sports Premium?
The Government in England has provided additional funding of over £150 million per annum since 2013/14 to improve PE and school sport in primary schools. From September 2017, the funding will be doubled to enable primary schools to make further improvements to the quality and breadth of the PE and sport they offer. Recently the government have committed to funding the primary school Sports Premium up until 2020 - an investment worth £750 million.
At St Thomas’, the grant we receive is approximately £9000 per year. The money can only be spent on physical activity (including active learning),sport and PE provision.
Purpose of the funding
Schools have to spend the sport funding on improving their provision of PE and sport, but we will have the freedom to choose how we do this.
Possible uses of the funding include:
- Hiring specialist PE teachers or qualified sports coaches to work alongside primary teachers when teaching PE
- New or additional sport clubs
- Paying for professional development opportunities in PE/sport
- Providing cover to release primary teachers for professional development in PE/sport
- Running sport competitions, or increasing participation in the school games
- Buying quality assured professional development modules or material for PE/sport
- Providing places for pupils on after school sport clubs and residential visits
We cannot use the funding to:
- employ coaches or specialist teachers to cover planning preparation and assessment (PPA) arrangements
- teach the minimum requirements of the national curriculum - including those specified for swimming (or, in the case of academies and free schools, to teach your existing PE curriculum)
Please click on the information below to see how we have been spending our PE and Sport Premium Grant
2018 - 2019 St Thomas' Sports funding - spending and impact report website reporting tool
2017 - 2018 St Thomas' Sports funding - spending and impact report
2016 - 2017 St Thomas' Sports funding - spending and impact report
2016-2017 report to Governors
2015-2016 report to Governors