Literacy at St Thomas’ Church of England Primary School.
We value every pupil and the contribution they have to make. As a result, we aim to ensure that every child achieves success and that all are enabled to develop speaking and listening, reading and writing skills in accordance with their level of ability.
Pupils will be given opportunities to relate the requirements of English across the curriculum, with opportunities to consolidate and reinforce taught literacy skills in foundation subjects.
At St Thomas’ school we ensure that all pupils are taught to and given opportunities to:
- read easily, fluently and with good understanding.
- develop the habit of reading widely and often, for both pleasure and information.
- acquire a wide vocabulary, an understanding of grammar and knowledge of linguistic conventions for reading, writing and spoken language.
- appreciate our rich and varied literary heritage.
- write clearly, accurately and coherently, adapting their language and style in and for a range of contexts, purposes and audiences.
- use discussion in order to learn; they should be able to elaborate and explain clearly their understanding and ideas.
- are competent in the arts of speaking and listening, making formal presentations, demonstrating to others and participating in debate.